WHAT IS CYSTEINE?
• Cysteine is a conditionally indispensable sulfur amino acid. Although it is formed in the body from Methionine,
insufficient amounts are synthesized - even in healthy individuals. Severely traumatized patients, and especially
burn patients, require increased amounts of Cysteine for metabolic -nutritional needs. Cysteine is a constituent of
Glutathione and Coenzyme A, a precursor for Taurine, and converts to Cystine in the body, which is made up of
two Cysteine molecules. Since Cysteine is more reactive than Cystine, it is generally more often recommended for
• Cysteine has antioxidant properties reacting with free radicals and peroxides, and chelating with heavy metals. It
helps detoxify the liver and protects the liver and brain, and possibly the kidneys and bladder as well, from the
harmful toxic compounds in alcohol, drugs, cigarette smoke, & radiation and chemical therapy. (N-Acetyl- LCysteine
given to those taking chemotherapy -in doses of 1-2 grams per day- helped prevent against nausea and
• Cysteine, part of the Cystine molecule, is found in alpha-keratin, the main protein in hair, skin and nails, and it is
involved in cartilage and collagen production for healthy joints and youthful skin.
• Deficiencies have been noted in those with food and chemical sensitivities, and when the body is under severe
stress with increased catabolic rates. Low levels of Cysteine are often noted in these patients and they have
insufficient amounts for Glutathione synthesis. Burn patients, and those with sepsis and impaired immune system
diseases, have increased oxidative damage to cells, and Glutathione is necessary to help prevent the free radical
damage and help improve tissue repair and immune function.
• Cysteine supplementation has had some beneficial effects on children who have the rare, congenital sun-sensitive
disorder called Erythropoietic Porphyria. These individuals have exceptional photosensitivity and have been
administered L-Cysteine in place of beta-carotene with positive results.
• Oral supplementation has been more effective than parental administration in raising Cysteine levels.
• Because this is a highly reactive compound, L-Cysteine should be stored in a dark glass container to protect its
integrity. Montiff supplies L-Cysteine in brown glass bottles.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease
• Vitamin B-6 is necessary for proper metabolism and Vitamins B-12 and Folic acid are important to prevent the
abnormal metabolite Homocysteine from forming; therefore a B complex, such as Montiff B-Complete or B-Long is
• Cysteine works best when taken with Vitamin E and Selenium. For those requiring broad-spectrum protection
against free radical damage, Montiff Super Antioxidant Formula is recommended, which includes N-Acetyl-LCysteine,
Vitamin E, Selenium, Folic acid, B-12, plus Taurine, Glutathione and other important antioxid
Montiff’s N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine is essential for proper skin, hair, and collagen formation. In addition to detoxification of toxic compounds and heavy metals. It increases Glutathione levels and may be helpful in those whose immune systems are severely compromised.
Take 1 capsule daily, or as needed, with a full glass of water or fruit juice. It is essential that a B complex, such as Montiff B-Complete or B-Long be taken for proper metabolism, and to prevent the abnormal metabolite, homocysteine. (For Pure N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine take 1-3 capsules daily, or as needed, as above). *To help increase Glutathione levels also take Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA). Montiff Alpha Lipoic Acid, 1-3 capsules daily.