Free Shipping on all orders over $150

100% Pure Citric Acid Anhydrous

5 Star rating on our Ebay store

What is Citric Acid? Citric acid is a weak organic acid that exists in a variety of vegetables and fruits. It is used as an additive and preservative in foods. Citrus fruits, especially lemons and limes, have particularly high concentrations of citric acid. Citric acid was discovered in the 8th century by the Islamic Alchemist Jabir Ibn Hayyan. In 1784, citric acid was first isolated by Carl Wilhelm Scheele, a Swedish chemist, who crystallized it from lemon juice. Later it was discovered that Penicillium and Aspergillus niger molds, that fed on a sucrose or glucose containing medium, could be efficient citric acid producers. Benefits of Citric Acid Citric acid has many uses. It can be used as an additive and preservative in foods, and it may be used to preserve vitamin C content. It is used in the canning, freezing, drying and sprouting of foods. It is added to ice cream as an emulsifying agent to keep fats from separating. It is also used in wine production as well as used by home brewers to modify brewing water for making beer. Citric acid naturally delays spoilage by bacterial growth and is used to prevent food discoloration. Other uses for citric acid include it being useful in soaps and detergents for cleaning, its use in food coloring and dyes, cosmetics and pharmaceuticals as a buffer, as well as an active ingredient in the production of antiviral tissues. Citric acid is also used in the industrial and construction industries, as well as its use as a stop bath as part of the developing process for photographic film. Purity and Concentration of Citric Acid This product only contains pure citric acid. This product contains no fillers, taste additives or anti-caking agents. Potential Side Effects of Citric Acid Skin and eye irritation can result from contact with dry or concentrated solutions of citric acid. Protective clothing should be worn when handling citric acid. Erosion of tooth enamel may be possible from excessive consumption. Contact with eyes may result in a burning sensation and prolonged exposure to extremely high concentrations may result in blindness.

Related Items